Monday, September 12, 2011

Making Stone Out of Newspaper


Step 2. Put wet newspaper strips in the blender with some additional water.
  
Step 1.  Tear news paper into strips and soak in water for a couple of hours.


The sludge before flattening...eeeeeeewwwwww!

  
Step 3.  Spread on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or Reynolds no stick foil.


Step 4.  I pat the sludge down flat and use paper towels to absorb some of the excess water and then roll over the paper toweling with a small rolling pin to make it more uniform in thickness.  Then I bake it at 200 degrees for about 1/2 hour then I put it in front of a fan to dry the rest of the way.  It will take a few hours to dry completely.
  

Step 5.Once dry, cut into long strips of varying widths.  If you want a more uniform look, then cut into even strips.  I'm going for a midcentury vibe, so I made them varied to resemble limestone.

The strips.



 

Step 6. Cut those strips into smaller pieces.

Step 6.   Cut those strips into smaller pieces.




The Final Product!


I think the best parts are that it looks very realistic and it's virtually free!


10 comments:

  1. Cool! It's like making your own egg cartons! :D Now I know what to do in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such arealistic result, no i have to buy a cheap blender.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great tip. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I should go out and buy a cheap blender! I was going to use egg cartons... but this is a whole lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! So simple and yet so effective. Looks like the stone on the house in your blog header. I like the color too.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Blessings,
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great =) thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very helpful!! thank you very much god bless you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this and everything came out good except I am wondering how you make a piece go around a corner. When I bend them for my chimney corners to look like a corner brick, they come apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try getting one damp then bending it.

      Delete